Sharing Your Windows 10 PC Internet Connection with an Ethernet Gateway
You can share an Internet/network connection from your PC to an Ethernet gateway on a Windows 10 PC if your PC has at least one Ethernet port, and another network adapter (typically Wi-Fi). The most common configuration is sharing a Wi-Fi connection to the Ethernet port. This can be useful if you do not have a router with DHCP enabled to which you can connect the Ethernet gateway (as the Ethernet gateway operates with DHCP enabled by default). It is important to understand that issues regarding this network configuration will be deferred to the party that supports your PC. But you should be able to connect an Ethernet gateway directly to a PC to receive an IP address and use the PC’s Internet connection using the steps below.
- Open Windows Settings (click Windows Menu, click Settings icon).
- Select the Network & Internet option.
- Select “Change adapter options”.
- In the Network Connections window, find the network you wish to share from, right click, and select Properties (this would generally be a Wi-Fi connection).
- Select the Sharing tab.
- Check the checkbox for “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection.
- For the “Home networking connection:” drop down, select the Ethernet adapter to which you are connecting your Ethernet gateway.
- Click the Ok button.
- Connect the Ethernet port of your gateway to the Ethernet port on the PC using a standard Ethernet cable.
- Power the gateway up.
If the gateway is able to successfully receive a valid IP address from the PC, the bottom LED will go solid green. If the bottom LED is solid green, you have successfully shared the Internet Connection from your PC.
Ethernet cable wiring
The Iotplus Ethernet Gateway supports a straight through Ethernet cable with standard straight through wiring.
The above steps will allow your gateway to receive an IP address using DHCP from your Windows 10 PC. This can be useful if you are configuring your gateway for operation with Iotplus Online or using a local version of Iotplus software such as Express or Enterprise with the Ethernet gateway connected directly to the PC. Feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org with further questions.